My Beautiful Baklava
One of my most favourite desserts since my early teens. I remember my mother’s best friend making it and then mum made some and here I am now, making it for my kids.
What I love about this recipe, it’s simple. Truly, only a few ingredients go into Baklava. Filo pastry, walnuts or pistachios (or mix both), butter, maple syrup, sugar, lemon, cinnamon and water.
40 sheets filo pastry (2 x 375g or 1 x 1lb pack, Note 1 for pack sizes)
500g walnuts (you can also use pistachios)
285 g / 10 oz unsalted butter , melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 cup / 200g white sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup / 185 ml water
1/2 cup / 170 g maple or rice malt syrup
1. For best results, thaw filo pastry overnight in the fridge then take out of the fridge 30 minutes prior.
2. Place nuts and cinnamon in a food processor. Pulse 15 times or until fine crumbs - don't let it turn into powder.
3. Preheat oven to 160C / 325F.
4. Base: Brush base of pan with butter. Lay over one sheet of filo. Brush with butter. Repeat to use 10 sheets, brushing every single sheet with butter. Scatter over 3/4 cup walnuts.
Mid layers: Cover with 5 sheets of phyllo, brushing every sheet with butter. Top with 3/4 cup walnuts. Repeat 3 more times.
5. Cut the baklava into 4 long strips, then cut on the diagonal to make diamonds. Bake for 1 hour - 1 hr 15 minutes until golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, make syrup (needs time to cool)
Remove from oven and immediately pour over syrup.
7. Leave to soak for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
Enjoy!!!! I could eat this every week but I can't, life is all about balance so maybe I'll make it for Mother's Day.