Caribbean Coconut Bean Soup
It was a super Caribbean Carnival at our place for dinner tonight. We had the music playing and dancing the night away.
This dish is exquisite and super easy to make. Thanks to my friends at HelloFresh for always inspiring me.
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Cut the sweet potato and carrot (both unpeeled) into 1cm chunks. Place the sweet potato, carrot, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Toss to coat, then roast until tender, 20-25 minutes.
TIP: Cut the veggies to the correct size so they cook in the allocated time.
2. While the veggies are roasting, roughly chop the capsicum. Finely chop the garlic (or use a garlic press). Thinly slice the spring onion and long red chilli (if using). Cut the lime (see ingredients list) into wedges. Drain and rinse the red kidney beans.
3. In a large pot or saucepan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the capsicum and cook, stirring, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and mild Caribbean jerk seasoning and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes with garlic & olive oil, coconut milk and crumble in the vegetable stock cubes.
4. Add the red kidney beans to the soup and bring to a simmer. Simmer until slightly thickened, 6-10 minutes.
TIP: Stir through a splash of water if you prefer a thinner soup.
5. Stir the roasted sweet potato and carrot and the baby spinach leaves through the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a squeeze of lime juice to taste.
6. Divide the Caribbean bean and coconut soup between bowls and sprinkle with the spring onion and chilli (if using). Serve with any remaining lime wedges.
So good! So fresh, delicious and easy to make.
Check my real time Instagram stories for this recipe